Tuesday, November 10, 2009

GOT CROSS TRAINING?

Hello all!! I just wanted to take this opportunity to share an experience from my last running race. It was a challenging 10 mile course through downtown Austin into the neighboring hills! I decided to treat this as a training run. I was relaxed and feeling good at the start of the event. I ran the first three miles at a comfortable pace even with a slight down hill. I found myself in a GREAT groove heading into the up hill section. I flew up the hills and was in control of my body and pace on the down hill sections that required sharp corners to navigate through. I passed runners that might have started to fast with ease. I kept my form and more important my mental focus to the finish line. I finished strong pushing the tempo at mile 9 to the finish.
I ran this race 1 minute slower than last year. However, I was just using this as a training run. Last year I started fast and was in purgatory the entire race. I can't tell you how bad I felt after last year's run.
What was the difference to my form this year? First, I have put more emphasis on CROSS TRAINING my body. I have added more flexibility and core training, and decreased my resistance training. I have also been more consistant with massage therapy and regular chiropractic visits. Second, I have a bigger running mileage base with more hill work and speed work throughout the hot summer. Yes, I was the idiot training at 3 o'clock in the afternoon during summer. Third, I added cycling miles to my training program this year. Fourth, I have cleaned up my diet. I have limited my eating out, and beer consumption. That is true DEDICATION!! I also put more emphasis on recovery nutrition this year. It was a huge help over the summer months.
I just wanted to share this with you all. So, Try to compliment your training regiment with these factors listed above! GET OUT THERE! Trainer Todd

No comments:

Site Counter